Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Flooding in Newfoundland

I am from a small town - Blaketown, Newfoundland. Population about 700. Not often do I find Newfoundland in the news... For all those who care, this is where it is....



It is rare to hear of Blaketown, Newfoundland in the news, but today, it is because of this.. Tropical Storm Chantalle dumped record rainfalls, and the area that contains my hometown was the hardest hit. After talking to my parents, and hearing their stories of flooded basement (despite active pump), and water filled kennels (luckily, Dad saved puppy Hershey from the rising waters to the comfort of our house) and a sunken boat that we couldn't get to because Old Shop (where my grandparents live) is virtually cut off from the rest of the world due to a washed out bridge. Amazing. Here are some pictures sent from friends and family...



This is about a kilometer from my house..



Notice what all that swirling water can do...



This is the bridge in 'Holiday Hill' a campground not far from my house.. Completely wiped out...



This is about 3km from my house (can you tell I do a lot of running at home, since I'm pretty confident in the distances). It is usually bordered by a small brook that obviously swelled after about 80-100mm of rain overnight...



Finally this is the one road that connects Old Shop to the rest of the world. Crazy. I have heard that boats and helicopters are on stand by in case of an emergency because no one is coming out of there today.

The main thing is that so far, there haven't been any reports of serious injury. Water, although unusual in these quantities, isn't new to the Rock. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone at home...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did not see your town or the flood in other areas, as we were travelling thru Gros Mourne and up to St-Anthon'y, However...I LOVED YOUR PROVINCE OF NEWFOUNDLAND...I am just feeling SO STUPID that it took me SO long to GET THERE...
Anne-Marie from New-Brunswick